Monday 24 May 2010

UEL DV1101- Topic Defined By Me- Anna Fox



I had never heard of Anna Fox’s work until I went to the Photographers Gallerys and saw some of her work. She was one of the photographers who was nominated for the Deutsche Börse Photography Prize 2010. Fox is considered part of the new wave of British colour documentary photographers that emerged in the 1980s, much similar to Martin Parr’s. The set of work which amazed me and was by far my favorite part of the day was titled ‘My Mother’s Cupboard and My Father’s Words’ which she created in 1999. From far away the images are barely seen and the font used is so very small you can only read and then truly appreciate it if you go up very closely and intimately with the work. On one side was a pretty photograph of her mother’s tidy cupboards and on the other side was a very nasty spiteful quote from her father in very famine calligraphic writing, such as ‘I’ll cut your bum off and serves it in slices, like raw ham’.It is such a great contrast which shows their claustrophobic relationship. It was designed and a miniature limited addition book.

http://www.annafox.co.uk/arc/11.html

http://www.photonet.org.uk/index.php?pid=374


No comments:

Post a Comment