Monday 24 May 2010

UEL DV1101- Topic Defined By Me- Andy Warhol

Andy Warhol is one of the biggest legends and masters of photography, but it is not he’s photography that I am most interested in, it is in fact he’s life and background all of which contribute to he’s art and made him what he was. He’s childhood was very unusual and unlike most as in he’s third year at school he caught chorea, which a hypochondriac, developing a fear of hospitals and doctors. Most of his childhood he was bed ridden, he became an outcast among his school-mates and bonded strongly with his mother. At times when he was confined to bed, he drew, listened to the radio and collected pictures of movie stars around his bed. Warhol later described this period as very important in the development of his personality, skill-set and preferences. When Warhol was 13, his father died in an accident. Another fact that really interests me is an event that happened in 1968 when a lady called Valerie Solanas shot Andy Warhol outside his studio and he barely survived. He made this quote not long after the incident;

"Before I was shot, I always thought that I was more half-there than all-there – I always suspected that I was watching TV instead of living life. People sometimes say that the way things happen in movies is unreal, but actually it's the way things happen in life that's unreal. The movies make emotions look so strong and real, whereas when things really do happen to you, it's like watching television – you don't feel anything. Right when I was being shot and ever since, I knew that I was watching television. The channels switch, but it's all television."

No comments:

Post a Comment